Ever since I got my hands on Kim Gordon‘s book “Girl in a Band,” I’ve been thinking about reading lists with female musicians- especially the lack of books and materials about female metal musicians. With all of the gender and metal research I’ve been doing, I found myself sadly unsurprised that there wasn’t very much commercially-written about female metal musicians in terms of bands, memoirs or biographies. I’m not quite sure why that is, considering that I’ve come across so much scholarly work by women in metal studies and I’ve met so many awesome musicians who are women.
In any case, I thought it would be helpful for me and other folks to have a reading list of more commercially-known books written by or about women and metal. I’m not sure if I’ll end up creating a list in Amazon’s Listmania but I might make an ongoing page here on my blog.
I also plan on compiling a scholarly list of articles, papers, and books written by female academics writing in metal studies, since much of my own thesis work has referenced women like Sonia Vasan, Gabrielle Riches, RoseMary L. Hill, RoseMary Overell, Jasmine Shadrack, Sarah Kitteringham, Kristen Sollee, Heather Savigny, etc. There’s lots more!
Below is a list I started compiling via my very random searches through Amazon as well as books that have been recommended to me during my research. By no means is this list comprehensive. All the books are available on Amazon, just follow the links and grow your library collections!
And yes.. compiling such a list appeals to the librarian side of me.
- Baulch, Emma (2007) Making Scenes: Reggae, Punk, and Death Metal in 1990s Bali
- Bond, Jaclyn (2009) The 100 Best and Absolute Greatest Heavy Metal Albums in the World, Ever
- Clerk, Carol (2002) Diary of a Madman: Ozzy Osbourne: The Stories Behind the Songs
- Dawes, Laina (2013) What Are You Doing Here?: A Black Woman’s Life and Liberation in Heavy Metal
- Ford, Lita (2016) Living Like a Runaway: A Memoir
- Giroux, Annick (2010) Hellbent for Cooking: The Heavy Metal Cookbook
- Herron-Wheeler, Addison (2014) Wicked Woman: Women in Metal from the 1960’s to Now
- Hughs, Jill (2014) Not Just Tits in a Corset
- Kajzer, Jackie, Lotring, Roger & Weiss, Mark (2009) Full Metal Jackie Certified: The 50 Most Influential Heavy Metal Songs of the ’80s and the True Stories behind Their Lyrics
- Leggett, Carol (1985) Heavy Metal Bible
- Mape Ollila and Olga Pohjola (2006) Once Upon a Nightwish: The Official Biogrpahy 1996-2006
- Napoleone, Amber C. (2015) Queerness in Heavy Metal Music: Metal Bent
- Nolteernsting, Elke (2002) Heavy Metal: die Suche nach der Bestie
- Phillipov, Michelle (2014) Death Metal and Music Criticism: Analysis at the Limits
- Purcell, Natalie J.(2003) Death Metal Music: The Passion and the Politics of a Subculture
- Roccor, Bettina (1998) Heavy Metal: Kunst, Kommerz, Ketserei
- Roccor, Bettina (1998) Die Bands, Die Fans, Die Gagner
- Roxx, Rita R. (2012) Once Upon a Rock Star: Backstage Passes in the Heavy Metal Eighties- Big Hari, Bad Boys
- Weinstein, Deena. (2000) Heavy Metal: The Music and it’s Culture, Revised Ed.
- Weindl, Dina (2006) Musik und Aggression: Untersucht anhand des Musikgenres Heavy Metal
- Weiermann, Ursula (2010) Heavy Metal: Entstehung und Entwicklung
- Yseult, Sean (2010) I’m in the Band: Backstage notes From the Chick in White Zombie Heavy Metal